Everybody likes a little romance. This is great for a relationship, bringing you closer to each other, and it opens opportunities for you and your partner to get to know each other better too. Being more romantic isn't hard either and good results can come from adding in just a few basic moves.
1. Snuggle with your partner to help bonding.
Snuggling is a great romantic activity and it doesn't take a lot of skill, preparation, or extra effort. It's also a great way to transition into just about any bedroom activity, from foreplay to a serious talk. Go slow on this step. Snuggle for a long time, at least 20 minutes, before moving on to other activities. Use the time instead to talk and caress their body gently, stroking their hair and running your finger along their collar-bone.
- When you're snuggling is also a great time to talk about your relationship and your future, which can be really romantic for partners that have been together almost a year or more.
- Really, you can talk about anything you want to talk about. However, talking about needing to go to the grocery store on Saturday isn't very romantic. Just keep that in mind.
- Don’t schedule romance in bed or just outright say that you want to go have sex. Being romantic means being subtle, so you’ll need to either wait until you’re in bed as normal or find another way to get them in bed and set the tone for romance. Try flirting and then taking their hand and leading them to the bed.
2. Kiss or make out.
If you think you've got kissing mastered and there's no room for improvement, think again. Everyone can always stand to get better with their technique and execution can be everything. Don't discount kissing and making out: both can be very romantic. Break the mold in terms of the kisses you're giving your partner right now in favor of something new and exciting.
- Get creative with your kisses. Kiss every freckle and mole. Put on lipstick and “draw” a heart with kisses. There are lots of ways to making kissing more romantic, sexy, and memorable.
3. Give your partner a massage.
Giving your partner a massage is a goldie but oldie when it comes to being romantic. Massages are very relaxing and a great way to lead in to other romantic activities. You don't even need to be very strong. A light touch in just the right places will still feel just as good.
- Try putting a bottle of massage oil (or baby oil, if that's easier to find) in a bowl of warm water and warm up your hands before putting the oil on their skin. The warm sensations will get the massage off on the right foot.
4. Be open about your feelings.
The best place to start is by just telling your partner how you feel. You don't need to worry about being really eloquent or coming across as cheesy. As long as you speak from the heart and are honest about your feelings, your partner will be very touched. Tell them what they mean to you and what your life feels like when they're in it. This will make them feel great and help set a really romantic mood.
- For example, you can say something like, "When I'm with you everything feels like coming home after being completely lost. When I'm with you, I feel like I have my compass. I'll never be lost again."
5. Talk sexy and dirty.
We tend to write off sexy talk as not being very romantic but it certainly can be. Talking dirty and sexy opens up boundaries and brings the two of you closer together by giving you an easy way to talk about what you like and what you want. This can be key to making a relationship more fulfilling and longer-lasting.
- Say something like, "I love it when you do that with your tongue..."
6. Transform your bedroom into a getaway.
You can really knock your partner off their feet by transforming your bedroom into a romantic getaway. This is a great option for birthdays and anniversaries, but also as a "just because" gesture. Bring out the flower petals and scented candles for a traditional look or you can use props and decorations to create a theme.
- For example, you can get incense, fabrics, pillows, and maybe a quick new coat of paint to give a room an Indian makeover before you show your partner just how much you can both learn from the Kama Sutra. You can also set a soundtrack to further the scene. Try anything by Ravi Shankar or try Anoushka Shankar if you want something a little more modern and sexy.
- You can also buy fancy fabric to drape and hang from the ceiling and walls, transforming an unromantic room into a plush love-den.
7. Feed your partner.
Set up a sexy picnic in your bed with lots of foods that are fun to feed your partner. You can spoil them with peeled grapes, chocolate dipped strawberries, or spicy chocolates. Take turns feeding each other while you listen to sexy music. Before you know it, you'll be ready to eat each other up instead.
8. Set up a mini movie theater.
Going to the movies is romantic but going to the movies by yourselves is even more romantic. However, not everyone can afford to rent out a whole theater for a single date. Skip the price tag and set up a theater in your bed instead. Drag the TV into your room or use a computer or laptop as your movie screen. Set everything up with popcorn and a candy stand, so that your partner feels like they're going to see a real movie.
- It's a good idea to try to choose a movie which has significance to the two of you. Try to track down the first movie you ever saw together, for example.